“My QuickTime player can’t open .MOV due to an unknown reason. It just displays a black screen, and there’s no sound at all. Is there anyone who can help me fix this error?”
Does the above question match your situation? If not, are you looking for a solution because your QuickTime can’t open MOV? If so, you can find plenty of useful information in this article. We will explain the solutions and other information related to this matter. So, go ahead and find the answers.
MOV files are a specific type of file that uses the MPEG-4 codec in your system. That codec is used for the purpose of compressing the files. This specific file can contain various data types such as audio or video or even text content.
However, in some cases, you might experience some errors associated with this type of file. For instance, in some cases, players like QuickTime will fail to play those files. So, what if you are experiencing the same issue and looking for a solution? Be it a Mac or a Windows PC, here’s a comprehensive guide for you.
Part 1: Introduction to QuickTime player can’t open .MOV issue
If you notice that QuickTime can’t open MOV, you may keep reading this paragraph. This paragraph will explain the reasons why QuickTime can’t open MOV.
MOV is a file format used by the QuickTime player when it saves files. This specific file format works well with Windows and macOS systems. Some of the files that come with DVCPRO (HD) characteristics are linked to the MOV file format. With this specific file format, however, there should be a multimedia container file to proceed. This specific format links a specific algorithm as well, and that is proprietary for MOV. With this specific algorithm, the player can process one or more tracks.
And, it is possible to find this specific file format is pretty much everywhere. Even with that sort of popularity, issues can occur. That means the “QuickTime won’t play MOV” error can trigger in many ways in your computer. So, what if you have encountered this issue and looking for a solution to fix it? Before jumping into solutions, let’s give it a try to diagnose the issue.
What are the reasons for QuickTime won’t play MOV?
Mentioned below are some of the common reasons why QuickTime can’t open MOV on your PC.
- The file you intend to play can be empty. That could be due to a failure in importing process or due to a problem that’s related to copying.
- In some cases, your file may not open when it misses EOF on the system. When the video data rate is set to be less compared to the minimum requirement, you’ll experience black screens. That is because the codec is not supported.
- If there is a corrupted playback in or out points, that will lead to errors. Even if there is a file, that will be indicated as an empty file. That will eventually cause issues.
- Assume that the MOV files are recorded using a digital camera. If not, they are downloaded from a website. Or if you have received those files from someone else. In any of the cases, they all are encoded using QuickTime Player. Because of that, they are likely to become incompatible with the existing player. Because of that, QuickTime can’t open MOV. If not, the QuickTime player will play the audio content only.
Part 2. Solutions to try if QuickTime can’t open MOV
Now, let’s move ahead and learn some solutions to try if QuickTime can’t open MOV. These solutions are easy to perform.
Besides, if you are experiencing the QuickTime error 2048 issue, here are the top solutions for you.
There can be various reasons for QuickTime Player can’t open .MOV. Regardless of the reason, you want to fix it, don’t you? So, finding different solutions to fix that error can be exceptionally difficult. In that case, you might want a solution that fixes any error. This is exactly when a solution like Wondershare Repairit comes to play. This specific application works on both Windows and macOS. Also, it can be used to rebuild and fix potentially corrupted videos. So, this is the best tool you can use if the QuickTime Player can’t open .MOV.
With this specific tool, you can fix the potential playback issues that are related to frame and sound. Also, it can fix corrupted files. In other words, it is exceptionally useful when it comes to repairing any form of error.
- First, you should download Wondershare Repairit on your mac. Then, you should open it. Once you have done that, you can drag and drop the corrupted files into the interface.
- If you want to repair multiple files, you should click on the option called “Repair.” That will repair all of those files.
- Wait for a while so you can see a preview. As a result, you can preview the repaired MOV videos. Now, you will be able to play those videos on QuickTime player.
- If you cannot repair the videos with the above process, you should go to the advanced process. That is labeled as “Advance Video Repair.” You should now add a sample MOV through the device. After that, Repairit will use this sample file for the purpose of analyzing the videos. The repairing process will be completed successfully.
- As the final step, you should choose the repaired video to get it saved as you wish.
Once the saving is completed, you can play the file on your QuickTime player. That’s how to repair the video with ease.
02. Use VLC Media Player if QuickTime won’t play MOV
Well, it is absolutely true that QuickTime Player is so comprehensive and smooth pretty much all the time. However, the truth is that it can fail when trying to play files that miss some information. In this case, you are supposed to use a different option than QuickTime Player. The best free tool you can recommend is VLC Media Player.
The good news is that VLC Player has the option of repairing a damaged video file. It does repair files that come with the .avi extension. If this is the case, you will have to convert the respective MOV file to AVI. After that, you can perform the repairs using VLC Player.
Mentioned below is how you can do it.
- First, you should convert the damaged or troublesome MOV files to AVI extension. To do that, you should launch VLC Media Player first. After that, you should go to the Media Tab.
- Now, you can go to the option called “Convert/Save.” Then, you should open the format conversion option. After that, add the damaged MOV file that should be repaired.
- Before proceeding to the conversion, you can change some settings. That means you can choose a Codec, location for the output, and so on. Then, you should click on the option called “Start.”
- Wait for a while so you will see the repair process.
- Be sure to press and hold CTRL + P keys. If not, go to the Preferences under “Tools.”
- As the final step, go to the section called “Input/Codecs.” Then, go to the option called “Damaged or incomplete AVI File.” Now, choose “Always Fix Option.” Once you have done that, go to “Save.”
That’s basically it. The troublesome MOV file should be fixed now. Just try to play it using QuickTime player. If everything has gone well, it should fix the “QuickTime Player can’t open .MOV” error.
Well, having a damaged video file can be incredibly frustrating. Things become so frustrating if the video file is an important one. So, what if you have one of those important files and your QuickTime player can’t open .MOV? Well, the above solutions will help you how to get out of the situation.
As of today, you’ll have several options when it comes to repairing a file that doesn’t work on QuickTime. However, pretty much all of those tools come with limited abilities. Also, the majority of those tools can repair minor issues. This is exactly when a tool like Wondershare Repairit comes in handy. It can repair any error related to MOV files. So, use the above fixes if QuickTime won’t play MOV.