“I notice a process called “Quickset64” running on my laptop’s task manager. I am not sure what it is, and it makes me worried. Should I get rid of it? Is it malware or bloatware? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!”
Quickset64 is a process that runs on many individuals’ task managers. What exactly is that? In fact, this specific process has become a concern of many laptop users – particularly Dell laptops. Have you noticed the same in your Dell laptop and wonder what to do with it? If yes, you can go ahead and read this article. In this article, we will explain what this process is and what you can do with it.
Introduction to Quickset64
Before everything else, let’s get to know what Quickset64 is. Well, Quickset64 is a unique application that is developed for the purpose of configuring or viewing network connectivity. This specific application is a proprietary product of Dell Corporation. That is exactly why you can see it on Dell laptops in particular.
This specific application comes as a pre-installed package in pretty much all the new Dell laptops. The installation folder of this specific application can be found in the main Program Files directory. You can go to the “C” drive and open Program Files. Then, go to “Dell” and open the “QuickSet” folder. You can find quickset.exe in that folder, and that’s the default location of the respective file.
With Quickset64, you can experience a pretty convenient way to change your power management settings. Also, the same allows you to manage power savings and even balance the laptop’s performance. On top of that, it becomes instrumental in diagnosing routines. You can also get its assistance in fixing some errors that can come up when using a Dell laptop.
So, that does mean that Quickset64 is a completely normal, harmless, and, more importantly, helpful application. Under normal circumstances, therefore, you don’t have to worry about seeing it on your task manager. There is no requirement to delete it from your system.
Should you delete Quickset64 from your laptop?
It is absolutely true that Quickset64 contributes to a wide range of conveniences for those who use Dell laptops. However, there are some individuals who want to get rid of this software due to several different reasons. Regardless of the reason, if you uninstall Quickset64 from your Dell laptop, you might encounter some errors. That is specifically because Quickset64 is a default application included in Dell laptops, so the consequences are obvious.
After removing Quickset64, you will notice that your computer starts to perform significantly slower. This is particularly true if you don’t uninstall the program in the correct manner. That is because your system will suffer from excess and junk files that are left after a program uninstallation. Once the system drive is filled, your computer will run terribly slow. Therefore, it is always important to get rid of this program completely. Also, you will have to delete all the other files associated with it. So, it is mandatory to uninstall Quickset64 correctly from your system and avoid potential annoying consequences.
Let’s get rid of Quickset64 in the correct way
Since wrongful uninstallation might lead to some errors in your system, it is important to do it correctly. So, if you intend to uninstall this program cleanly and completely, follow the steps mentioned below. In fact, there are several methods to consider if you want to uninstall Quickset64 properly and completely. So, you can go ahead and learn those methods in the below section.
Option 1: Use Programs & Features to get rid of Quickset64
The most basic and the first method to get rid of Quickset64 is Programs & Features. It is the default window you can find in your Windows OS. This is more of a manual process. In this case, you should uninstall the respective program from the system and manually delete the leftover registry keys. If you wonder how to do it, you can go through the steps that are listed below. Also, please note that this method can be used to uninstall any program installed in your system. So, knowing how to do it properly can be handy for any Windows user.
Steps to get rid of this error
- First, you should reach the search box in your main interface. Then, enter the text “Control” in it. After that, you should see several options on the menu. Just choose the option labeled “Control Panel,” which is located in it.
- That will open a new window labeled “Control Panel.” Towards the top-right corner, you will see an option called “View By” with a tiny dropdown arrow. Click on that and change the type of view into “Category.” After that, please choose the “Uninstall a Program.” You can find it under the section labeled “Programs.”
- Now, you are supposed to find the option “Quickset64” in the list of programs that are installed. You will see all the applications that are already installed in your system. After that, please select the option called “Uninstall” to proceed. You can click on the option called “Yes,” so that will confirm the uninstallation process. Then, just follow the instructions provided on the screen. That will complete the uninstallation.
- As the next step, you should launch the window called “File Explorer” to proceed. You can do that by pressing the “Windows” and “E” keys together. Once the Explorer window is open, you can go to the folder of Quickset64. It is located in “C:\.” Then, go to “ProgramData” and choose “Dell.” In that, you will find a folder named “QuickSet.” Select that folder (quickset) and delete it permanently.
That’s the way to delete the files that are related to Quickset64. After doing that, you can proceed with deleting registry keys that are leftover in the system. If you don’t delete these files, they can interfere with the execution of some programs and cause conflicts. Also, it can contribute to the slow performance of your system.
Removing Registry Keys
Mentioned below is how to remove leftover registry keys that are related to Quickset64.
- First, you should open the “Run” utility on your system. To do that, you can use a keyboard shortcut. You can hit the “Windows” and “R” keys at the same time to launch the “Run” utility. After that, you can see a box to enter text. Type the text “%temp%” (without quotation marks, of course). Then, you should hit the “Enter” key or press “OK” to proceed. You will notice a separate folder window with so many temporary files in it. You should select them all and delete them permanently. To do that, you can press the “Ctrl” key and “A” key together and hit “Delete.” That will get rid of all the temporary files from the system.
- As the next step, you should launch the “Run” utility again (you already know how to do it). Then, enter the text “Regedit” on that box and press the “OK” or “Enter” key. That will open the “Registry Editor” window. In that window, you should go to the path mentioned below.
“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Run\eg UI“
- Now, please click on the option labeled “Quickset” located on the left side of the window. That displays all the files related to Quickset, and you can see them on the right-hand side.
- Now, you should select all the entries found in the right-hand side pane. Then, you are supposed to hit the “Delete” key to remove everything related to Quickset.
Option 2: Use system restore to get rid of it
The next option is to use a system restore to get rid of Quickset64 and its leftover files. In fact, System Restore is a default feature found in Windows OS. That allows you to bring your system into a previous state. As a result of a system restore, you can reverse the changes made to the system. All the installed files since that restore point will be gone. Even the registry entries will be reset to the previous state along with the settings of the system. So, if you have already created a restore point, you can go back to it. As a result, Quickset64 might be gone.
Hopefully, the above methods will help you get rid of Quickset64 easily. But please note that this application does not do any harm to your system – it is a default tool.