Did you know that you can add audio to video in VLC? Although it sounds somewhat strange, the VLC media player does allow you to perform some basic video editing tasks. That said, knowing how to merge audio and video in VLC can be handy for you. This is particularly true if you don’t have access to a paid, professional video editing tool.
VLC does not need any introduction if you have used a computer for some time. For those who don’t know, VLC is one of the most popular open-source media players. This specific player works on all platforms, including mobile operating systems. It is completely free and highly compatible with nearly any video and audio file format. In fact, it can play many files that aren’t compatible with other players. Despite its excellent compatibility and features, it is completely free for any user across the globe.
It is true that VLC is fundamentally developed as a media player. However, it can go beyond that point and act as a video editor too. That adds more versatility to this player. It can help to add audio tracks to a video, merge videos together, and so on. If you like to add background music to a particular video, for instance, you can use a VLC player. If not, you can replace an existing audio track of a media file using this player. So, here, we will explain how to merge audio and video in VLC. We will explain how to add audio to video VLC and save them in your system.
Part 1: Add audio to video in VLC
Now, we will explain how to add audio to video VLC using a couple of simple steps. The process is absolutely easy, and any beginner can do that.
- First, Go to Media on VLC player and choose the option called “Multiple Files.”
- Click on the “Add” option on the new window.
- Now, browse the target video on your local storage. You will see two options called “Show More Options” and “Play another media synchronously” with checkboxes. Check them both to proceed.
- After that, you should click on the button labeled “Browse” so you will be guided to another window.
- Now, click on “+Add,” which is found on the window labeled “Open Media.” Then, you should locate the audio files that are expected to be played as the background sound.
- Now, in the window labeled “Open Media,” click on the button labeled “Select.” Then, click on the button labeled “Play.”
- You should go to “Audio” and choose “Audio Track.” Choose the option called “Track 2” as well. Then, the respective audio file will be merged into the video. Once you have done that, you can either overlay or replay the original soundtrack.
If you want to add audio to video VLC again, you can repeat the same steps. That will help you add multiple audio tracks to the same video file.
What are the drawbacks?
Now that you know how to merge audio and video in VLC. Let’s learn its drawbacks as well. In fact, VLC is a free tool with open-source characteristics. So, you will have to expect some drawbacks when you compare it with a pair of professional applications. This is not to discourage you from using the VLC media player but to explain the reality. As a result, you can decide whether to use VLC or go for a professional application.
- VLC Media Player lets you add multiple tracks to a video, but you cannot save it.
- In some cases, you will experience no-sound issues or errors related to subtitles.
- You cannot play M4V or M4A files using VLC Media Player on a macOS system.
Part 2: How to merge audio and video in VLC Media Player and save it
Do you wonder how to merge audio and video in VLC and save it? Well, with the above method, you cannot do it. In that case, you will have to use a more complicated, different method. In this section, let’s learn how to add audio to video VLC and save it.
As per this method, you have to disable the audio file that comes with the video. Then, you should replace the disabled audio file with another audio file saved as a separate file. Just like it sounds, it is a pretty complicated process that requires substantial effort. However, if you are ready to accept the challenge and try it out, you can follow the steps below.
- First, open VLC Media Player on your computer and choose the option called “Media” from the menu bar. Then, click on the option labeled “Convert/Save” so it will let you add a video file to VLC. You can find this button on the lower side and proceed.
- Now, click on the icon that appears as a wrench (it is located in the option called “Profile“). Now, click on the option called “Audio Codec.” After that, you should uncheck the box that appears before the option called “Audio.” That will disable the original soundtrack associated with the video you edit. After that, please click on the “Save” button, and you can go back.
- Now, you will be directed to an option where you can save the video. Choose a location so you can export the video.
- Now, you should import that video (which doesn’t have audio) to VLC Media Player once again. Go to the option called “Show More Options” and tick the box that belongs to it. Now, you should select the option called “Play Another Media Synchronously.” That will lead you to load a different music file to the VLC media player.
- Now, you should click on the drop-down menu located next to the “Play” button. It is located at the bottom of the screen. Then, you should choose the option called “Convert/Save.”
- Now, click on the icon that has the appearance of a wrench to proceed. That will open the codec options related to audio files. After that, you should enable Audio and hit “Save.”
- Now, browse to a destination folder for the video file. Then, you should add the extension called “.mp4” to the end of the file name. After that, click on the button labeled “Start” so VLC will combine the audio file with the video. It will also save the file to your computer.
And, that’s how to merge audio and video in VLC.
Besides, let’s figure out how to extract subtitles from MKV video files with ease.
What are the drawbacks of this method?
Well, when you add audio to video VLC using the above method, you should expect some drawbacks. After all, when you use a free option, you are supposed to tolerate some drawbacks. For your information, we explain those drawbacks below.
- This method will end up causing a quality loss on the output file. That is because it requires you to encode the video many times.
- Being a media player, VLC doesn’t have some of the crucial video editing features. For instance, it doesn’t have an option to adjust the audio codec, sample rate, or bitrate.
- VLC doesn’t have the ability to mix external audio to an existing soundtrack. Instead, it replaces the existing audio track in the video.
Now that you know there are several crucial drawbacks related to this matter, you may look for an alternative. The alternative you try should be good enough to merge the video with audio without losing the quality.
In fact, VLC is one of the best free methods to play a large range of media files. For those who want to add audio to video VLC with a simple strategy, VLC is a good option. In other words, it can perform some simple tasks. It is true that it is not a perfect video editor. However, that’s a pretty handy tool for those who are looking for a free tool.
So, do you wonder how to merge audio with video using a professional method? If yes, please opt for a professional, dedicated video editor like Adobe Premiere Pro. Also, DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, and Apple Final Cut Pro are professional video editors you can consider.
In addition to that, you can go for a free non-linear video editor like VideoProc. It is a very impressive, versatile tool that works on both Windows and macOS.
Well, that’s how to merge audio and video in VLC. If you have more doubts about this matter, please let us know.