Datastore.edb has become a pretty popular topic among Windows users. There are many users who have faced various issues because of this matter and look for solutions. What exactly is it? What sort of problems might it create? Let’s find it out. Also, we will explain how to fix the issues related to datastore.edb.
An introduction to datastore.edb
Datastore.edb is associated with high data usage more often than not. So, any Windows user should have substantial knowledge about datastore.edb and how to fix it. In this part, we intend to explain what exactly datastore.edb is.
In order to fix the high disk usage issue, it is compulsory to learn what is described by datastore.edb. Basically, it is a log file in the Windows operating system. This specific file can be found if you open the software distribution folder in the system. When it comes to the content of this folder, it contains the history of Windows updates. In this file, you can see all the Windows updates that the tool place in the respective system.
The datastore.edb log file can gather data over time. That means this specific file becomes bigger and heavier over time with every Windows Update check the system performs. When the file is too big, the system requires more time to read and write all those data. That will definitely slow down the PC and that will be very frustrating for any Windows user. So, upon processing a Windows update, the process called svchost.exe will use a massive amount of system resources. That is used just to read the aforementioned file.
Is it OK if you delete datastore.edb?
As you can guess, the culprit behind this issue is an oversize, heavy datastore.edb file. If that’s the case, you will also assume that you can overcome this issue by deleting datastore.edb file. Well, the truth is that you are correct. In other words, you can delete that file and fix the error. However, there are some minor consequences. For instance, you will have to start from scratch when you are going for an update next time. You will have to check pretty much every setting upon an update. That is because the respective log file has to grow from scratch whenever the system undergoes a system update.
So, the practical answer is that there is no point in deleting the respective file. That will grow back and cause the same issue once again. So, in order to fix the issue, you will have to remove the Windows software distribution folder completely. Apart from that, there are some other methods that will be useful for any user.
Fixing datastore.edb error
In fact, there are three effective methods that can fix this issue. We intend to discuss all those three methods so that they will be useful for you.
Besides, if you are experiencing the File Cannot Be Deleted Because It Is Open In System error, here are the top solutions for you.
Method 01: Disable Windows Update along with Bits Service
Just like you have read before, datastore.edb is a massive log file that grows over time. As you update Windows, this specific file will update. So, one solution you can try s to disable the Windows Update and BITS services. In fact, BITS services are the utility that helps download and install updates for Windows systems; if you are still unaware of how to download and install Windows updates, read the below-mentioned instructions.
- First, you are supposed to press Windows and R keys at once to launch the Run dialog box. After that, you can see the “Run” dialog box. Then, you should enter the text “service.msc” in the respective field. Press OK or hit Enter key to proceed.
- Now, you will see a different popup window. Just navigate to the option called “Windows Update Service.” Then, you should perform a right-click on it and choose the option called “Properties.”
- After that, you can change the “Startup” type. In this case, you should choose the option called “Disabled.” Then, you should click on the option called “OK.” Don’t forget to “Apply” the button to save these changes.
- Once you have done that, you can repeat the same steps to disable the service called “BITS.”
- Once you have disabled all those services, just perform a restart on the PC. Check if datastore.edb is resolved and you have enough free space in the disk.
Method 02: Defrag and repair datastore.edb with Esentutl.exe
If the previous option didn’t work for you, try esentutl.exe. In fact, this is a method that can defrag datastore.edb log file. By defragging the respective log file, you can free up some space from it. If you want to learn how to perform this fix, mentioned below is how to do it.
- First, you should locate the search box and enter the text “command” in it. Then, you will see a list of options with “Command Prompt” listed in it. In this case, you will have to right-click on it and choose the option called “Run as administrator.”
- Now, in the command prompt window, which is opened right now, you should enter the following command.
“esentutl.exe /d C:windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Datastore.edb”
Then, hit the “Enter” key so the command will be executed.
- Now that the command is completed, you can restart the PC. After that, be sure to check if the datastore.edb issue is fixed.
For many individuals, this option should work.
Method 03: Create the SoftwareDistribution Folder again
Recreating the SoftwareDistribution folder once again is another practical fix you can use to overcome this issue. In fact, many users have overcome this issue simply by deleting the folder and recreating it. If you are not aware of recreating the SoftwareDistribution Folder, please follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you’re supposed to open the command prompt. You can the method mentioned in the previous solution. If not, you can press the “R” key along with the “Window” key to bring the “Run” utility up. Then, enter the text “cmd” in the dialog box and hit “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Enter“. That will open the command prompt with administrative privileges. This is required to perform the repairing process.
- Now, the command prompt is opened with administrator privileges; let’s proceed with the command. You should enter the commands below and hit “Enter.” Make sure that you enter those commands one after the other and hit enter in between the lines. Doing so will disable the update service that requires the existence of the SoftwareDistribution folder.
“net stop wuauserv“
“net stop bits“
Please note that you should avoid inverted commas.
Also, if you have already tried Method 01 and disabled the Windows update, you can skip it.
- Once you have done the above, you can paste the following command in the command line. That should be done in the command prompt, which is elevated now. Then, you should hit the “Enter” key. Well, this step will rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. After that, it will force its operating system to recreate the SoftwareDistribution folder from scratch.
Here’s the line of code you should enter.
“ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old“
- Now, restart the PC and hit the “Win” and “E” keys to launch the File Explorer. Then, you should navigate to the path “C:/Windows.” Then, delete the folder named “SoftwareDistribution.old” to complete the process.
Now, the folder file will be created, and you will have a fresh SoftwareDistribution folder in the system.
Other steps you can take if your system is too slow
Large datastore.edb is not the only reason behind a slow computer. So, there are several other steps to follow if you want to speed up your PC. Mentioned below are some of those practical steps.
- Use an SSD instead of the regular hard disk drives.
- Leave at least 25% free space on your hard disk to expect optimum performance.
- Make sure that your system is updated.
- Get rid of unwanted programs.
- Defrag your system in a timely manner.
- Have a separate graphics card installed.
- If the current RAM is not sufficient, upgrade it.
- Keep all the applications updated to the latest versions.
- Have a virus guard installed and keep it updated.
- Never use pirated software applications
So, those are the steps you can take to speed up your computer system. Suppose you have other issues related to datastore.edb, please let us know. We will try to answer your queries at our earliest.