This article is focused on how to change iMovie aspect ratio on iPhone or Mac. In simplest terms, the term “Aspect Ratio” defines the ratio between the width and height of a given video. That is exactly how a given video appears on your screen. That said, this article specifically discusses iMovie aspect ratio change.
Why Do We Need to Change iMovie Aspect Ratio on iPhone?
As mentioned earlier, the aspect ratio is the ratio between the width and the height of the video. The aspect ratio of that video is set by the device that captures the original footage. For instance, your digital camera, laptop, computer, or phone have their own aspect ratio values.
As of today, it is 16:9 regarded as a standard or commonly accepted aspect ratio. The same aspect ratio is considered to be “Widescreen Aspect Ratio.” In fact, this is the preferred aspect ratio used for TV, computers, smartphones, etc.
You can find other commonly used aspect ratios as well. 4:3 is one of those aspect ratios found in older screens (which are nearly squares). On the other hand, 1:1 is used for Instagram, and 9:16 is for TikTok. Meanwhile, 21:9 is used in cinema screens.
In some cases, you should upload an image or a video to some platforms that have some specific ratios. For instance, the videos uploaded to YouTube should be in 16:9. Also, some platforms crop your videos abnormally. If not, those videos may even get stretched if you don’t use the required aspect ratio. That said, if you apply the appropriate aspect ratio, you can avoid all those unpleasant conditions. So, if you have shot a video using your iPhone, you should change it based on the platform. That is exactly why every iPhone user should learn about the iMovie change aspect ratio iPhone.
Part 1: Change iMovie Aspect Ratio on Mac
Now, let’s get to the main point directly – iMovie aspect ratio change. If you wonder how to change aspect ratio iMovie on Mac, you should know one thing for clear. The basic aspect ratio of iMovie is set to 4:3 by default for videos. When it comes to HD videos, the aspect ratio is changed to 16:9. With iMovie 10, you will notice a common issue when you want to use a standard aspect ratio. Even when the video is cropped, you may not be able to get the output as desired. If not, the screen will fill with the video. In that case, you can use a professional tool like Filmora to edit videos with ease.
PS: here are the top solutions to fix the iMovie export failed with ease for you.
But if you intend to stick to iMovie, mentioned below are the steps to follow.
- First, you should launch iMovie to see the home screen. You should create a project or even open an already existing project. Then, you can either import or drag and drop the videos to the timeline.
- After that, you should crop the media file. To do that, you can use the crop icon placed just above the timeline. Just click on it so you can change the size of the video with ease. After choosing the correct size, you can click on the option called “Reset.” That’s it.
Use Filmora to change the aspect ratio – the best alternative
Filmora Video Editor for Mac is one of the handiest video editors in the market today. As of today, this specific tool is used across many countries across the globe. We mention it as one of the most powerful tools due to various reasons. So, in this section, we will explain how to use this tool instead of change aspect ratio iMovie iPhone.
Basically, there are two methods to change the aspect ratio of a video using this powerful application. You can use this tool and change the size using custom values. If not, you can choose a preset from the settings and apply it in a breeze. Either way, it is absolutely easy to edit or resize a video using Filmora. So, to proceed with the process, you should download the application on your Mac or PC.
Features of Filmora Video Editor
Before we step into the process of changing the aspect ratio, let’s learn Filmora’s best features.
- It is the best video editing application for those who are new to the subject of video editing.
- It has many powerful video editing skills, including trimming, splitting, rotating, and so on.
- You can find some advanced video effects on this application (green screen, audio mixing, PIP, etc.).
- Any of those effects can be added to the video using a couple of clicks.
- There are more than 500 free special video effects for you to use on project files. You can use those presets to make your videos glorious and unique.
- There are more than 1000 standalone effects for you to consider. These effects are absolutely handy when it comes to creating videos of different effects.
- It comes with a friendly user interface that can be used by any individual regardless of expertise.
- You can use it to export videos to different platforms and devices with only a single click.
How to use Filmora to change aspect ratio instead of iMovie change aspect ratio iPhone
OK. Please follow below simple steps to change the aspect ratio of a video file.
01. Import the media file
As first, please download and install Filmora on your computer to proceed. Then, you are supposed to open the application to see the home screen as well. To edit the video file, you can either drag it and drop it to the timeline. If not, you can choose the “Import” option on the menu bar. That will open the video file in the Filmora application.
02. Change the aspect ratio
Now that the video is appearing in the timeline, you can right-click on it. As a result, that will display more editing options related to the same video. All you need is to find the option called “Crop and Zoom” and click on it. After clicking on that option, you can find several presets. This preset appears with values of 16:9, 4:3, 1:1, and 9:16. You will also find a custom option to choose from. All these options appear below the video so choosing them is easier.
- There are two options to consider now. You can either change the aspect ratio by cropping the file. In that case, you can choose the option called “Custom.” You can manually adjust the crop handles and then focus on the required area.
- If not, you can change the video aspect ratio from a preset as well. For many users, this method is easier. It should be 16:9, 6:16, 4:3, or 1:1. With preset values, you can make the respective video to match the respective aspect ratio. The output file of the video will appear in a much better manner once the cropping is completed.
Filmora for Mac comes with another feature called Auto Reframe as well. As per this feature, the application itself can crop the video files automatically to match specific screens.
So, as you can notice, cropping a video using Filmora for Mac is exceptionally easy. Also, it gives a professional output compared to standard applications like iMovie. In addition to cropping, Filmora offers you plenty of other features to edit videos. So, choosing Filmora is always a wise decision for any user.
Part 2: Change aspect ratio iMovie on iPhone
Video editing is possible on handheld devices as well. In other words, you can edit a video on your iPhone with the assistance of the iMovie app. But the problem is that there are some limitations to this method, just like with iMovie for Mac. As long as you can tolerate those limitations, iMovie for iPhone is a good option to edit videos. One of the major drawbacks of this method is that it doesn’t support certain aspect ratios. In that case, you will have to reach that manually. So, the iMovie change aspect ratio iPhone is not an easy task.
The good news, however, there is a handy alternative to change aspect ratio iMovie. This method is called FilmoraGo. It can be used to configure standard video aspect ratios without any issue and achieve impressive results. If you intend to add standard ratios, you can easily avoid the alternative solution. If not, you can simply follow the settings below and perform an iMovie aspect ratio change.
- First, you should launch iMovie on your iOS device.
- Click on the icon that appears as a plus icon and goes to Movie.
- Then, you should import the videos that should be edited.
- Tap on the video, which is located in the timeline.
- Select the option that appears like a magnifying glass so you can start cropping.
- Now, crop or zoom the video file as you wish.
- Click on Done.
- Click on the option called “Save Video” as well.
Using FilmoraGo instead of iMovie aspect ratio change
FilmoraGo is available on iOS devices as well. So, you can use this professional tool on your iPhone without a doubt and hassle. The steps are very simple.
- First, download and install FilmoraGo on your iPhone and launch it. Now, create a new project. If not, you can even open a recent project.
- On the next screen, you can select the Canvas from the appearing list to proceed.
- You can now select an output format. To do that, you can select the ratio format you prefer. That’s it.
Well, as you can realize, change aspect ratio iMovie is not that easy if you use standard tools. Those tools always come with some limitations. However, with a professional tool like Filmora or FilmoraGo, you can accomplish the same task easier and better.
Editing or cropping a video to be compatible with a specific platform has become a necessity these days. That is because there are so many platforms and devices to display your videos. So, if you want to display the video content in the most appropriate way, use a professional tool. Filmora and FilmoraGo are two those options we can suggest instead of iMovie change aspect ratio iPhone.