Error 0x80246007 is something that can annoy any Windows user. In fact, this specific error can appear when you download Windows 10 versions. Although it is so annoying, you will be able to fix that issue with a couple of simple fixes. The purpose of this article is to explain those fixes for our readers.
Every one of us prefers to use the latest build of Windows OS because of many obvious reasons. However, due to some issues, some users cannot download the most recent updates on their computers. The update will be put on hold and display an error message stating a specific code “0x80246007“. If you have faced such an issue and wonder how to fix it, you can keep reading. The remainder of this article will explain how to overcome error 0x80246007 and let you install the updates.
Solutions to fix error 0x80246007
There are several solutions to fix the 0x80246007 error on your computer. For your convenience, we intend to explain all these fixes in the simplest possible manner. So, even if you are a beginner, you can go ahead try these solutions to overcome such an error. Also, you don’t have to try all those fixes; instead, you may start from the first solution and go to the others if needed.
Solution 1: Double-check your virus guard
The first solution to try is to check your virus guard. In fact, many users experience 0x80246007 errors due to the way the virus guard functions. Even though your antivirus program is designed to protect your computer, there can be some consequences associated with it. In some cases, your antivirus might prevent some essential system files from operating properly. Some of your antivirus programs might fail to work in collaboration with your Windows OS. That might end up causing various errors in your system.
Some antivirus programs are prone to show this error more frequently compared to others. For instance, McAfee is one of those virus guards that contributes to this error more frequently. So, the most impressive way to address this issue is to disable the respective antivirus program. That said, if you use a different program, you should disable that and check if a 0x80246007 error appears. For many users, however, the error might be gone after disabling the antivirus program. If that doesn’t work, however, you should try uninstalling the antivirus program. So, if the error 0x80246007 has any link whatsoever to your antivirus, it should be gone by now. But if that doesn’t work, the error has nothing to do with the virus guard. In that case, you will have to try a different solution that is mentioned below.
Solution 2: Use Troubleshooter to fix Error 0x80246007
If the previous solution didn’t work for you, go ahead and try this one. In this case, you should try the troubleshooter provided by default for the Windows update. That will fix your 0x80246007 error without needing the assistance of a third-party tool. If you don’t know how to do that, you can go ahead and read the steps mentioned below.
01. First, you should hit the Windows key along with the “I” key to launch the “Settings” app.
02. After that, you should choose the option called “Update and Security.” Then, you’ll see an option called “Troubleshoot” located in the left panel.
03. As the next step, please click on “Windows Update,” which is located on the right-hand side. Then, you are supposed to run the option that says “Run the troubleshooter” to proceed.
04. Now, you can follow on-screen instructions and get the process completed.
05. After completing the troubleshooting process, you can perform a reboot on your PC. That will refresh the settings and apply the changes made. Then, you can check if the error is persisting. If you still notice the error, you can go ahead and try the next solution.
Also, if you are experiencing the 0x80070426 Error for Windows Update, here are the top fixes for you.
Solution 3: Check your Firewall to fix Error 0x80246007
Windows 10 comes with a default firewall to protect you from various online and network threats. By default, they offer options to enable or disable this firewall. In fact, you can switch the firewall on or off based on your requirement. In some cases, you might need to have it disabled. If that’s the case, you will not be able to run the update properly on your Windows system. So, just check if you have turned off the firewall on your Windows 10 system. If it does, you should go ahead and enable it to proceed.
Those who don’t know how to do it can follow the steps mentioned below.
01. First, you should press the “Windows” and “R” keys at once. That will bring the “Run” utility up.
02. Now, you should enter the text called “services.msc” in the given space to proceed with the solution. After that, hit “OK,” and that will open the option called “Services” on a different window.
03. Now, you should see several options. You should locate the option called “Windows Defender Firewall” located among that. Then, you should see if the firewall is disabled or not. If it is already enabled, you can leave it as it is. If not, you should enable it. To do that, you should perform a right-click on it and select the option called “Start.”
04. Now, you should close the window labeled “Services.”
05. Perform a reboot on the respective computer and see if it is fixed.
Solution 4: Run BITS automatically
If you are yet to succeed, you can go ahead and try this method to fix Error 0x80246007 as well. All you need is to set your system’s BITS services running automatically. That will probably fix this error. If you are not aware of the way of performing this process, you should follow the steps below.
01. As the first step, you should launch “Services.” Then, you should locate the option called “Background Intelligent Transfer Services.” It is also known as BITS.
02. You can now perform a right-click on the option called BITS to see the properties. Then, please choose the option called “Properties” to proceed.
03. When you are in the next window, you should go to the tab labeled “General.” After that, you should choose Automatic (Delayed Start), which is located under “Startup Type.” Then, just click on the option labeled “Start.” After that, just click on “Apply.” Then, hit “OK” so the changes you have made will be saved.
04. You can now close the window labeled “Services.” After that, you can see if the error is gone.
Solution 5: Use a file called Repair.bat to fix Error 0x80246007
If none of the above options have worked for you so far, there is another solution to try. Well, this is a pretty tricky method you should try, but we will make it easier for you. The step-by-step methods mentioned below will guide you.
01. First, you should open a notepad on your PC. After that, you should enter the following set of commands in it. If you cannot type it, you can easily copy it and paste it to proceed.
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution ren Download Download.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits
If not, you can create a notepad using the below set of commands to achieve the same result.
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution ren Download Download.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop cryptsvc cd %systemroot%system32 ren catroot2 catroot2old net start cryptsvc
02. After creating the above set of commands, you should click on the option called “File.” Then, you should select the option called “Save As.” Then, you should enter the file name as Repair.bat. After that, in the “Save as type,” you should select “All Files.” Then, save that bat file on the desktop.
03. Now, locate the Repair.bat file on your desktop and perform a right-click on it. Then, please choose the “Run as administrator.” If prompted, you should provide the admin password. Otherwise, you can simply click “Continue” to complete the process.
04. Now, you should try to install the update once again. If you succeed, you can delete that .bat file.
Important: Please note that you have two more solutions to try if nothing has worked so far. Clean booting and system restoration are the solutions you can try.
So, you may go ahead and try these solutions to fix error 0x80246007 on your PC now.