0x8007042B is more of a common error found among Windows users. This error tends to appear in some computers when they undergo a system update. If you experience the same error on your PC, the solutions explained in this article will be very handy.
0x8007042B Error Code
You may already know that Windows 10 gets timely updates. Those updates are provided to fix the potential bugs in the system and also to strengthen the security. In most cases, these updates go very smoothly. However, with some systems, updates tend to show some errors and then hold the update. The error codes shown upon a failed update can be different from one to the other. Error code 0x8007042B is one of those codes you can find when you update the system.
As a result of this error, your system’s update will not go according to your expectations. When such an instance appears, you’ll try several times but only to end up being unable to complete it.
There can be several reasons for the 0x8007042B error. For instance, it could be due to an erroneous USB peripheral. Also, it can happen due to a faulty third-party application or the virus guard. Some users say that the same can happen due to corrupted files in the system. Even a faulty update itself can trigger error code 0x8007042B. So, as you can see, there is no shortage of reasons behind this error.
Since Windows is a very flexible and rapidly evolving OS, it is compulsory to have updates regularly. So, if you experience any errors pertaining to updates, it is important to fix them immediately. As the most basic fixes, you can remove any of the peripheral devices installed in your system. You can then plug those peripherals back to see if it works. Well, let’s go ahead and try to fix error code 0x8007042B.
Solutions to Try if You Experience Error Code 0x8007042b
Mentioned below are the possible solutions you can try if you want to fix the 0x8007042B error.
01. Get Rid of the Usb Devices Attached to Your PC
The most basic method, as mentioned above, is to unplug all the USB peripherals attached to your system. That is because the peripheral devices may often lead to various errors, including 0x8007042B. So, the fix is straightforward; all you need is to remove the USB devices from their respective ports. After that, you should plug them in. If that doesn’t work and the 0x8007042B error persists, you may go ahead with the other solutions.
02. If You Have a Third-party Virus Guard, Uninstall It
Windows 10 is a very impressive antivirus program that can scan and remove potential malware programs in the system. But in many cases, users tend to rely on third-party antivirus programs. If that’s the case with you, there can be some errors occasionally. For instance, it may prevent a smooth update on your system and end up causing a 0x8007042B error. In that case, you should remove the third-party antivirus program from the system. Also, if you are bothered with the Error Code 0x80004002 during the Windows update, this guide is what you should check out.
Mentioned Below is How to Get Rid of This Error by Removing the 0x8007042b error.
- First, please perform a right-click on the Windows button. Then, choose the option labeled “Settings.”
- Once you have done that, you can select the option called “Apps” to proceed. After that, you can choose “Apps & Features,” which is located on the left-hand side.
- Now, you are supposed to scroll down and perform a right-click on the third-party virus guard.
- Then, click on the option called “Uninstall,” and you should see a popup menu. Click on “Uninstall” once again, so removal will be confirmed.
- Now, you should perform a “Restart” and see if the “0x8007042B” error is gone.
03. Perform a Manual Update on the Available Updates
For some users, disabling the antivirus program will solve the issue. However, if that’s not the case with you, just go ahead and try this method. As per this solution, you are required to update the OS manually. That will probably remove the error code 0x8007042B from your computer.
Please follow up below the simple guide to update the system manually.
- There is a specific number starting with “KB” related to the respective erroneous update. That is available in the section dedicated to Windows Updates. Note that number down to proceed.
- After that, you should go to the option called “Microsoft-Update Catalog.” Then, you should key in the KB number on the appearing search bar. Hit the “Enter” key to proceed.
- You will see a list of updates now. Click on the option called “Download” in front of the most appropriate download option.
- Once the downloading is done, click on the option called .exe and install it.
- Restart the PC and see if you can still see the error code 0x8007042B. If yes, you can choose the next option.
04. If You Have New Applications Installed Recently, Remove Them
Have you installed a new app or a driver on your system pretty recently? For instance, assume that you have installed a driver or a new application right before noticing error 0x8007042B. If you don’t know how to do that, you mentioned below is how to do that.
- First, go to the Search console on your system and enter the text “Control Panel.”
- Then, click on the icon that represents the settings option. After that, please choose the “Programs & Features” option.
- After that, you should perform a right-click on the most recently installed apps. Then, tap on “Uninstall” next to each app to install it.
- Once all of the new apps are uninstalled, restart the PC and see if the issue is resolved.
Also, if you are facing the 0xe0000100 Installation Error, here are the best fixes you should try.
05. Perform an SFC Scan to Fix Error Code 0x8007042B
Your system may experience a 0x8007042B error as a result of corrupted or damaged system files. In that case, the best way to fix it is by performing an SFC scan. If you wonder how to do that, mentioned below are the steps.
- First, you should wake the search menu up by pressing the “Windows” and “S” keys simultaneously. Then, enter the text “Command Prompt” in the given field.
- Run the command prompt with administrator privileges. To do that, you should perform a right-click on the CMD icon and select “Run as Administrator.”
- Click on “YES” to proceed.
- Now, enter the text “sfc/ scannow” and hit the “Enter” key. That will scan the system.
- It may take anywhere between 10-20 minutes. So, wait patiently.
- At the completion of the scan, restart the PC.
06. Go for a DISM to Fix Error Code 0x8007042B
Well, DISM is another method that can fix error code 0x8007042B. This is yet another built-in tool in the system. The purpose of performing this fix is to fix potential corruptions found in the OS, and mentioned below is how to perform this action.
- Go to the “Command Prompt” by entering the text “command prompt” on the search bar.
- Then, right-click and choose to open it with administrator privileges.
- When prompted, hit the option called “Yes” to proceed.
- Once the console is elevated, enter the code mentioned below.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth [HIT ENTER]
- Now, the scan will begin, so wait patiently.
- As the final step, restart the PC to see if the error code 0x8007042B is gone.
07. Perform a Reset on the Update Components
Resetting the update components on Windows can fix the 0x8007042B error. Mentioned below is what you can do to reset the components.
- Press the Windows key and X keys to wake the power menu up.
- Go to the option called “Run.”
- Enter the text CMD and hit Ctrl, Shift and Enter keys together to proceed.
- Then, tap Yes to continue
- Enter the following codes on the CMD interface.
net stop wuauserv [HIT ENTER] net stop cryptSvc [HIT ENTER] net stop bits [HIT ENTER] net stop msiserver [HIT ENTER] ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old [HIT ENTER] ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old [HIT ENTER] net start wuauserv [HIT ENTER] net start cryptSvc [HIT ENTER] net start bits [HIT ENTER] net start msiserver [HIT ENTER] pause [HIT ENTER]
- After entering the above codes, you can install the updates without 0x8007042B error.
08. Rename the Migration Directory
In some cases, you can fix error code 0x8007042B if you rename the Migration directory.
- Hit Win + E to launch the File Explorer window.
- Enter the path mentioned below
- Go to the migration folder and right-click. Choose rename.
- Enter the name “Migration.old“.
- Restart the PC.
09. System Restore to Fix Error Code 0x8007042B
Try to restore your system to an earlier stage. That will fix the 0x8007042B error, and mentioned below are the steps.
- Go to the search bar and enter the text “Create a Restore Point.”
- Hit Enter and choose System Protection under System Properties.
- Go to the option “System Restore” and hit Next.
- Choose the latest restore point.
- Choose “Next” and hit “Finish” to apply the changes.
- Perform a restart.
10. Use Media Creation Tool
If nothing has worked so far, try to upgrade your Windows OS with Media Creation Tool.
- Go to the official website of Microsoft. Then, download the “Media Creation Tool.”
- Install the tool by double-clicking.
- Choose the option labeled “Upgrade this-pc now.”
- Hit next.
- Select “Download & install updates“.
- Choose next and select “Accept.”
- Hit next after choosing to keep personal files.
- Use onscreen instructions.
So, that’s how to fix error code 0x8007042B on your system.