The impact of the 0x800703f1 error on your Windows 10 system will surely make you annoyed. As you may know, this specific error appears when you attempt an update on Windows 10. If you are not aware of the solutions yet, let’s keep reading this article.
It is true that Windows is the most widely-used operating system. With that said, Windows 10 is plagued by some errors with its Windows Update function. The 0x800703f1 error, for example, is very irritating. Corrupt system files may result in Windows update error 0x800703f1. Defective system file entries may be a real pain for your PC.
When the 0x800703f1 error code occurs, you will be unable to perform an operating system upgrade.
The error code 0x800703f1 also has several additional problems.
● 0x800703f1 issue during a system restore
During System Restore, you may encounter the error 0x800703f1. The issue may be fixed by deactivating your antivirus and scanning and repairing damaged system files.
● You are using Windows 8
Older versions of Windows may also experience the 0x800703f1 problem. However, our methods below should help you solve it.
Solutions to fix 0x800703f1 error
Now, in the below-mentioned section, let’s learn how to fix 0x800703f1 errors with ease. So, go ahead and read the solutions below. Or switch to it if you are facing the Windows Update Error 0x800705b4.
01. Use the troubleshooter for Windows Update
You can use the Troubleshooter for Windows Update as a first step in troubleshooting the 0x800703f1 issue. In fact, there is a built-in tool called Windows Update Troubleshooter for troubleshooting Windows update issues.
To put this technique to use, just follow the steps listed below
- To open Settings, press Win + I at the same time.
- In the left panel, select Update & Security, and then Troubleshoot.
- In the right panel, select Windows Update, then Run the troubleshooter under “Get up and running.”
- Complete the troubleshooting procedure by following the on-screen instructions.
- Perform a restart on the PC and see whether the problem code 0x800703f1 Windows 10 has been resolved.
If the issue still persists, the following steps should be taken.
02. Deactivate your antivirus program
Your computer’s antivirus software may be to blame for the 0x800703f1 issue. The antivirus software may sometimes cause problems with your operating system, resulting in the error 0x800703f1 when you try to update Windows 10.
For this reason, disabling third-party antivirus software, if you have it installed, and disabling Windows Defender, if you don’t, is advised in order to resolve the problem.
Disable the third-party antivirus program
Use the following steps to deactivate third-party antivirus software if necessary.
- To open the Task Manager, press Win + X at the same moment.
- Click on the tab labeled “Process.” Then, end your antivirus program by right-clicking on it and selecting the option called End Task.
- Reboot the PC to see whether the problem has been resolved.
However, if the problem persists despite your efforts, you’ll have to remove the program completely. To get started, just follow these steps:
- As the first step, go to the Settings app, then to Applications, then to Apps & Features.
- Locate and choose Uninstall from the context menu of the third-party antivirus program.
- Reboot the PC and see if the 0x800703f1 error is gone.
It’s important to know that moving antivirus-related files as well as the registry entries isn’t always an option. Downloading a specific antivirus removal program is the best option here.
Remove Windows Defender from the computer
The 0x800703f1 issue may be resolved by turning off Windows Defender. However, it is true if you do not have any other antivirus software installed.
To temporarily turn off Windows Defender, follow the steps outlined below:
- To begin, go to Settings and choose Update & Security from the drop-down menu.
- Reach the option called “Windows Security.” After that, you should click on Protection Areas and choose Virus and Threat Protection. Thereafter, you should go to Windows Security.
- Go to Virus and Threat Protection and go to the option called “Manage Settings.”
- Locate and deactivate the function called “Real-time protection“
- Perform a reboot on the system and see if the problem is gone.
For many individuals, the above should resolve the error. If not, you can go ahead and use the steps mentioned below to fix the 0x800703f1 error.
03. Configure the drivers of the system
Faulty drivers sometimes cause 0x800703f1 error codes. Drivers may generally be expected to function properly prior to updating your operating system. But, updates to Windows 10 may cause problems. To overcome this error, you have the option of making adjustments to the driver software to resolve the issue.
Perform a Rollback on the Drivers
The first thing you should do is restore the drivers’ settings to their default state. Here’s how to do it:
- Press Win + X at the same time and click on the option called “Device Manager.”
- After that, right-click on the offending driver in the list and choose Properties.
- Rollback to a previous driver version by selecting the option called “Roll back Driver.” It is found in the Device Manager. Click “OK.”
Update your system’s drivers
Try this one if the previous solution didn’t work.
- Start by opening Device Manager and selecting Update Driver. You can do it by right-clicking on the faulty driver.
- After that, choose to check for new drivers automatically.
- Complete the process by following the on-screen directions.
- Check if the error is fixed.
04. Use SFC and DISM
If you experience a 0x800703f1 error, the chances are that your system files are corrupted. It’s a good thing that Windows comes with two very useful tools for repairing damaged system files.
System File Checker is the first thing you should try. Corrupted system files may be simply and quickly repaired as part of your system.
To do an SFC scan on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Perform a right-click on the correct option and select the option called “Run as administrator.” That should be done after typing “cmd” in the search box. Select “Yes” from the Yes/No drop-down menu.
- In your elevated CMD window, type SFC /scannow and click Enter.
- Sit tight and wait for everything to be finished. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t interrupt it under any circumstances.
- Perform a restart on the PC to see whether the problem has been resolved.
If the 0x800703f1 issue still persists after performing the SFC scan, you may want to use the utility called DISM.
Here’s how to use DISM to repair the problem:
- Launch CMD with admin privileges.
- Use DISM.exe in the opened CMD to clean up the system image and restore health.
- DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth/source:c:repairsourcewindows /limitaccess may be used if the previous command fails to perform its job. To continue, hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- At the completion of the process, you should restart the PC and see if the error is gone.
05. Restart the update components for Windows
0x800703f1 error can appear as a result of an error pertaining to an update component of Windows. So, you can fix it by restarting the same.
- Launch CMD with admin privileges.
- Enter the commands below.
net stop wuauserv [HIT ENTER] net stop cryptSvc [HIT ENTER] net stop bits [HIT ENTER] net stop msiserver [HIT ENTER] ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old [HIT ENTER] ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old [HIT ENTER] net start wuauserv [HIT ENTER] net start cryptSvc [HIT ENTER] net start bits [HIT ENTER] net start msiserver [HIT ENTER]
- Restart the PC.
06. Clean Install Windows
A clean Windows 10 installation is your only option if nothing has worked so far to fix this error.
Performing a clean Windows 10 installation, on the other hand, will remove all installed applications and some files, so be sure to make a backup of anything essential before you attempt this.
Create a backup of your important data
To create a backup of your data before a clean Windows installation, you can use ShadowMaker (by MiniTool).
This is a powerful application that lets you backup anything, including the system, partitions, disks, etc. Also, this tool allows you to synchronize files and even folders to other locations.
Here’s how to use MiniTool ShadowMaker.
- Download, install and open ShadowMaker. Choose “Keep Trial.”
- Select the option called “Connect” found in “This Computer.”
- You can even connect a remote computer on the same LAN through its IP.
- CHOOSE “Backup” and click “Source.” Select “Files & Folder“.
ShadowMaker has the ability to create a backup of the OS. Also, it chooses the destination as a default value.
- Define the files you intend to back up. Hit “OK.”
- Choose the Destination to save the image of the backup files. Hit “OK.” Please note that it is better to avoid C drive when saving the backup image.
- Now choose “Back Up Now.” You can even start the task through the page called “Manage.” To do that, you should click on the option called “Back Up Later.”
- Wait for a while, so the backup will be created.
Reinstall the OS
Now that the backup is created, you can continue to reinstall Windows.
This article tells you why the 0x800703f1 issue arises while upgrading your operating system. Apart from that, it provides you with various viable solutions to address the solution. To prevent any potential data loss, you can consider creating backups on a regular basis.
How to fix 0x800703f1 error?
- Use troubleshooter
- Deactivate or uninstall the antivirus program
- Reconfigure the drivers
- Use SFC and DISM
- Restart the Update Components of your Windows system
- Clean install the OS
How to fix installation errors on Windows 10?
- Get rid of the external hardware devices
- Use the troubleshooter
- Update the OS
- Deactivate or uninstall any third-party antivirus programs.
- Get rid of any idle applications.
- Clean your hard drive and get more space.
How to fix update database errors on your Windows OS?
- Use SFC
- Use DISM
- Manual reset on Windows Update Components
- Clean boot the PC
- Reset the system
So, those are the solutions to fix the 0x800703f1 error. If you have any comments, please post them below.