I am getting error code 0x80004002 when I try to update my Windows 10 system. I tried several times to get rid of this error but have had no luck so far. Can someone please assist me how to get rid of this error? P.S. I am a newbie and have no idea about fixing these types of errors.
Mentioned above is a question posted in a help forum by a new user who experiences a 0x80004002 error. In this article, we intend to explain how to solve this error for good. Also, we intend to explain them in the simplest possible manner so anyone can follow the instructions.
We’ve got you covered if you get the error number 0x80004002 when attempting to upgrade Windows or Windows update. Error 0x80004002 and windows update problems may be easily fixed by learning all there is to know about them.
One of the most common reasons for error code 0x80004002 is corrupted registry entries. When you try to install a Windows update on a computer where corrupted files are, you’ll experience this error. The same error can appear when you try to install the most recent applications on Windows. Regardless of that, we explain how to fix that error for good.
The error code 0x80004002 might appear with a message. This specific message might say that it had some issues when updating the system, and they will try later. Also, it asks you to contact support if you continue to see the error.
80004002 error in Windows versions may also be caused by other factors, such as an interrupted Windows installation. Also, the same error can appear due to damaged system files or incomplete removal of Windows. Moreover, it can appear as a result of installing new applications or even a malware infection.
So, to address such errors, we have composed this list of solutions. All these solutions are explained in a simple and straightforward manner. Even if you are a novice, you will find these solutions to be very easy. So, let’s learn how to fix the 0x80004002 error below.
What is the Best Method to Fix the 0x80004002 Error?
The easy solution to fix the error code 0x80004002 in Windows 10/8/7 is to use a professional tool. In fact, we have recommended it in this article. This specific tool can easily repair your PC. You should know that this tool has some great capabilities to fix a variety of errors related to Windows. Also, it can fix issues with a single scan and also helping you to optimize Windows performance. Also, if you don’t have the required knowledge and expertise, it is possible to try this convenient method. It will save plenty of time and deliver excellent results. However, if you don’t want to use the easy method, you may use the alternative methods below.
Alternative Ways to Fix 0x80004002 Error
Due to various reasons, you may want to look for alternative methods to fix the 0x80004002 error. So, if you don’t want to use the professional tool and are interested in other methods, keep reading. There are several fixes you can try, and mentioned below are them for your reference.
Solution 1: Use the Troubleshooter for Windows Update
It is always best to scan the system using a built-in utility. The good news is that you have such a utility in your system to troubleshoot different errors. So, let’s proceed to learn how to fix this error. Mentioned below are those steps.
- First, you should click on the “Start” button and click on the option called “Settings.”
- Now, please choose the option called “Update & Security.”
- After that, please locate the option called “Windows Update.” After that, click on the option called “Run the Troubleshooter.”
- Once you have done that, you can follow the instructions mentioned on the screen.
- As the final step, you should restart the PC to save the changes.
Check if the error code 0x80004002 is fixed now.
Also, if you are facing the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004, here are the top fixes for you.
Solution 2: Perform a Malware Scan on the System to Fix Error Code 0x80004002
While upgrading the Windows operating system, you may experience an 80004002 error. There is no shortage of viruses and spyware specifically target Windows updates. The main intention of those viruses is to prevent them from installing or functioning correctly. So, do a security scan with your current security software or with Windows Defender. Also, maintain your PC/security laptop’s software up to date to ensure its safety, and that will prevent various errors. So, as the second step, you should perform a malware scan. On the other hand, scanning your system for viruses on a regular basis is an absolute necessity.
Solution 3: Repair the System Files that are Corrupted
Windows update 0x80004002 error is also caused by a corrupt system file. Using the methods shown below, you may fix a faulty system file and recover your data.
- Open CMD with Administrator privileges by pressing Windows + R and typing cmd. Please note that you should hit the “Shift” and “Enter” keys to open CMD with administrator privileges.
- Then in a command window, enter the SFC /scannow command and press Enter.
- Let’s wait for the scanning to be completed.
Now, you are supposed to see if the issue 0x80004002 related to the Windows update has been resolved. Suppose it hasn’t; go on to the next option.
Solution 4: Check if Your Network Connection is Working Correctly
You may be experiencing network difficulties if you still see the error number 0x80004002. To overcome it, you should take the actions listed below and resolve potential network issues.
For Windows 7
- Go to Start Menu and select the option called “Control Panel.” Then, go to the option called “Network & Internet.”
- After that, you should go to the “Network & Sharing Center.” Choose the option called “Fix a Network Problem.”
- Then, you will notice that the network troubleshooting appears. Once it appears, you can use it to go through the fixing process to complete it.
For Windows 8 or 8.1
- First, you should launch “Start Menu” and choose “Control Panel.”
- Then, go to the option called “Network & Internet.”
- After that, you should go to “View Network Status & tasks.”
- You can go ahead and choose the option called “Troubleshoot Problems.” Then, choose “Network & Internet Troubleshooter.”
That will probably fix error code 0x80004002.
For Windows 10
- First, you should use the “Windows” and “S” keys to launch the search box. Then, you should enter the text “Network Troubleshooter.”
- After that, you should select the option called “Identify & repair network problems.” You can follow the instructions.
Hopefully, that would fix the error 0x80004002.
Solution 5: Reset the Updated Components Manually
Do you still experience the problem code 0x80004002 when upgrading Windows? If so, try restarting Backgrounds intelligent transfer services along with the Windows update service using this method.
- Use “Windows” and “R” keys simultaneously to bring the “Run” utility. Then, enter the text “CMD” and hit enter.
- Once the command prompt window is open, you can enter the command lines as mentioned below.
net stop wuauserv [hit enter] net stop cryptSvc [hit enter] net stop bits [hit enter] net stop msiserver [hit enter]
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv [hit enter] net start cryptSvc [hit enter] net start bits [hit enter] net start msiserver [hit enter]
As the final step, you should exit the command prompt window.
Be cautious when entering instructions in the command line. After that, try updating Windows to see whether the error 0x80004002 still displays after you’ve completed your updates.
Solution 6: Repair the Corrupted Registry Tools to Fix Error Code 0x80004002
We’ve previously established that the problem 0x80004002 is caused by damage or corruption to the Windows registry. The only way to fix damaged Registry files is by manually editing the registry. However, there is a significant risk associated with this method since even a little error may do serious harm to your machine.
So, we propose that you use the highly regarded, professional Registry Repair Tool to quickly repair registry corruption.
Solution 7: Register Your System Files to Fix Error Code 0x80004002
Important files in your system are needed in order to obtain and install updates related to Windows. That said, you will notice 0x80004002 errors may appear if the system files are not registered.
Please follow up below to register those missing files.
- First, you should hit both the “Windows” and “R” keys together.
- Enter the following commands one after the other and hit OK.
regsvr32 Qmgr.dll /s regsvr32 Qmgrprxy.dll /s
- Restart the PC and run a Windows Update.
Solution 8: Perform a Manual Update on Windows to Fix Error Code 0x80004002
Here’s how to perform a manual update on Windows.
- Use a browser to launch MS Update Catalog.
- Enter the error code (0x80004002) in the given box.
- Hit “Search” and select “Download.”
- Run the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions.
- Restart the system after updating Windows.
Solution 9: Go for a Clean Boot to Fix Error Code 0x80004002
If nothing works, try a clean boot with the steps mentioned below.
- Press “Windows” + “R” and enter the text “msconfig.” Hit OK.
- Go to the “Service” and choose “Hide all Microsoft Services.” Then, choose “Disable all.”
- Go to the “Startup tab” and choose “Task Manager.”
- Disable all the items in the startup list. Then, close the task manager window.
- Restart the PC.
The above solutions should help you overcome this 0x80004002 error. If it doesn’t, you should use a professional PC Error Repair Tool. That will help you fix error code 0x80004002 with ease and save your time.